about.me

Thursday, March 28, 2013

which one should I bag? (part 2 of a couple more)


Back to my bag search. 

I decided I wanted a messenger bag. But I do not know which one although I know which brands are my best bets.

Lowepro. Vanguard. Manfrotto.

Online prices of the new Lowepro Pro Messenger and Vanguard Up-Rise 38 are way beyond what I intended to spend on a bag, so they are out of selection order.

Early weekend in December 2012, I drove to a shopping complex in KL to check out some photo accessories and I stumbled upon the Inverse 200AW in a shop doing a ‘sale’ on some bags. The Inverse 200AW can be had for RM299 (around USD98). 

It was no doubt a pretty reasonable price for an original Lowepro. However I soon decided that a waist pack is not something that I’ll be comfortable with especially for day-long shoots.

With the Lowepros and Vanguard out of the question, I was left with the Manfrotto. But with a huge price range between RM250 to RM460 at different merchants, I have to be very careful if any of those cheaper ones are not originals, or worse end up being a victim of profiteering.


Lowepro Pro Messenger 200AW
Nice.
Expensive.
Can't afford.


Lowepro Inverse 200AW
I figured I won't be too comfortable with a waist pack. 
Not when I have a tree trunk for a waist…lol.


Vanguard Up-Rise 38 Quick Draw Messenger 
Tops my list but like the Pro Messenger 200AW, I really can't afford this. 
Besides it's too laptop bag-like which is a constant target for snatch thieves in KL.


Manfrotto Stile Unica VII 
Within my affordability range.
But logic tells me that bright red doesn't equal being inconspicuous. 
And after trying out the bag, I honestly feel that the material (and stitching) won’t last as long for the ‘rough’ user that I am.

At this point I am effectively out of choice. Or am I?

But as the saying goes, good things come to those who wait…or as I prefer to say in in Malay, “berkat kesabaran”…I eventually found the bag that fits into my set criteria.

No comments:

Post a Comment