about.me

Monday, January 21, 2013

photography journey so far...

how it all started...
I started taking pictures using my dad’s old trusty (and still working) Ricoh KR-5 when I was 13. 

This is a sturdy model, through-the-lens (TTL) viewfinder (which means no parallax error) 35mm camera with excellent built quality and a very nice weight ratio piece.


Basic specs of the KR-5:

Type:
35mm film SLR camera
Lens mount:
K bayonet mount
Lens:
Riconar 55mm f/2.2 prime, 4 elements in 4 groups
Shutter:
mechanically-controlled, vertical travel, focal plane shutter with metal curtains
Shutter speed:
1 to 1/500th of a second, B (bulb)
Flash X sync:
1/8th to 1/60th of a second
Viewfinder:
eye-level pentaprism viewfinder with exposure meter needle
Focusing screen:
diagonal split-image spot in microprism image band surrounded by Fresnel field
Exposure meter:
TTL full open metering for centre-weighted average light reading coupled to shutter speeds, film speeds and f-stops
Battery:
2 1.5V G13 silver oxide batteries
Weight:
approx. 680gms with lens and batteries



I had this camera stored in an air-tight container for many years when I switched to a different camera, my very first own SLR. 

Lately I took the KR-5 out and found that it is still very well kept. The condition inside is still almost as new and on the exterior, it only showed a little sign of wear and tear.

I decided to have it serviced and after spending a couple of weeks in the camera service centre, it is now back with me. I grabbed some Ilford 400 B&W films and I'm going to take it for a test drive soon…after more than 10 years not seeing action.

Back then, film cameras ruled and the biggest difference shooting films compared to the present digital media is, cost!

With films, I was always careful with my shots so as not to waste money on expensive films (yes, films price in Malaysia are expensive by our standards) and we pay separately for processing / development fees and, printing cost. 

Anyone shooting films can vouch for the fact that shots are more carefully planned as each frame of your film's exposures means a lot. With memory cards in the digital era, we can somehow afford to be a little shutter-happy.

My dad bought this amazing camera in Singapore as a family camera although it did nothing to spur my interest into the world of photography.

The camera feels heavy, built quality was like a tank, even the plastic parts felt like they’ll last 3 millenniums. It has been my trusted camera for many years and hopefully for many years to come.

I’m still puzzled why he bought the camera back then as he has no interest in photography whatsoever and what we needed actually was a simple point and shoot for our family events. But I owed it to him for introducing me to a world beyond what my usual eyes are able to see (and still seeing)…hmm…sounds a little philosophical (and freaky) huh?

A few years later, I actually began getting more interested in photography but yet I did not own a SLR until the late 1990s. 

The story of how I eventually owned my first SLR was a rather interesting one.

Next: my first SLR...



No comments:

Post a Comment