about.me

Friday, April 26, 2013

which one should I bag? what I eventually settled for...

Think Tank Photo Retrospective 30

This is the third instalment of my bag hunt. 

I took a further stroll in a few shops where I usually get my photography supplies from. The shop where I’m a regular quoted me RM270 for the Unica VII. Then I saw the Think Tank Photo Retrospective 30 at a price that made me feel as if I’m buying a Gucci handbag. 

The list price was RM599 (USD197) and the seller is only willing to give me a 5% discount off the retail price. I was disappointed though my eyes (and heart) have by then been stricken in awe by the Retrospective 30.

Still I inspected the bag, checking every feature that it carries with the steep price tag that comes with it.

Feature-wise, the Retrospective 30 ticks all the boxes in my ‘checklist’ of a well-constructed messenger bag, with the exception of the price of course. It is also a very beautiful bag, if you like retro that is. After all, it is the Retrospective series :p

I decided to put off the purchase of the Manfrotto indefinitely as I continue surveying for a better bargain for my new found love at first sight of mine, the Retrospective 30.

And I’m glad I did coz it didn’t took me long to find one. As I walked out of the shop, I walked past another shop which is merely 2 shops away. I took a peek into the shop and saw what looked like a series of Think Tank Photo bags inside. As I walked in, I was greeted by the Retrospective series in all the available colours: black, blue slate and of course, my favourite pinestone.

I flicked a few different models around, checking its features with my eyes locked on the R30 of course. When I ‘finally’ picked up the R30, I took another check at the price tag just to make sure it is the so-called ‘official’ pricing attached to the bag. It was indeed the heart-wrenching RM599!

I asked the shop proprietor how much she can offer this bag at and she did some calculation in her head for a few seconds before blurting out a certain amount. What she quoted me was rather surprising. I would not call it ridiculously cheap but compared to its retail price, I was pretty much blown away.

Naturally I suspected if it is an imitation and I asked her if there are any imitation ThinkTank products out there and she told me as far as she’s aware of, there’s none.

The shop owner asked me to think about it, do some research online to determine if this is the bag I wanted. In the meantime, she’ll keep the pinestone coloured bag for me because she knows I’m serious in buying. She’s such a nice person J

A few days later I finally took the plunge on my birthday, parting with RM380 (USD125) for this built-like-a-tank ThinkTank Photo Retrospective 30. Yup, it was a massive 34% off the retail price that the proprietor has offered me and I must say I couldn’t be happier with this latest acquisition! A birthday present for myself J

Come to think of it, it is weird how I missed out on this shop as I go to this area almost on a monthly basis for my films and other supplies. I did a few casual price checks on some items I usually buy and found out that this shop’s pricing is more reasonable than many shops in KL, better than some of the popular joints where shutterbugs go for their photo-related fixes. I believe I’ll visit this place more often from now onwards.

If you want to know where this shop is, email me and I’ll fill you in the details. I do not have any affiliation with the shop and neither do I earn any commissions for referring. So if you are seriously interested, email me…I do not mind returning a favour to the nice lady who gave me a good discount for the bag.

Verdict on Retrospective 30: A Gucci, tank material camera bag!

My R30 in a complimenting element 

Retro.
Classic.
Tough.
Love it!

I’ll post more photos with and without my gear in it next.

No comments:

Post a Comment