about.me

Monday, March 18, 2013

vacation photos: it's pretty easy, I promise...


Ok, this is not about camera bags as I promised in the previous post but I suddenly had the urge to share something on vacation photos so here goes...

I love travelling and no trip is a good trip without packing my gear and making arrangements for an “absolute my own personal time” photography session. And I have quite a few interesting stories to share on this. But that’s for another day.

Today I want to talk about the joy of family and/or friends vacation pictures.

(A) 
These are the ingredients for a nice series of vacation shots:
  • A few people: in a family and/or a group of buddies of course.
  • A holiday destination: holiday means you are not on a working trip or something similar. You cannot be working on your vacation.The thing is your mind won’t rest if you bring your work along and if your mind can’t relax, you won’t have the urge to shoot nice pictures. Also if you are in a group guided trip, ditch the tour guide. He is only interested in making commissions from your purchases, your vacation and memories mean nothing to him. For this obvious reason, I always prefer to plan my own itinerary. That frees me with the time and flexibility to go anywhere and stay as long as I wish there.
  • A camera: it may be your Canon 1DX or just a simple point and shoot or even your mobile phone camera sans the Internet connection that pushes emails through them…and of course, keeping the camera in your beach bag doesn't help. So always have it handy and ready for the shots.
(B)
Having checked the ingredients above, let’s look at the rules for some decent vacation pictures. As far as I’m concerned, there are only 2 rules:
  • Shoot wide: use wide angle, prime lens where possible. Leave those bazooka-sized zooms at home unless you are training to be paparazzi. Photography is about learning something new in every new shot. To learn, you need to get close to your subjects. Simple logic.
  • An eye for details: don’t just glance, always take a second look. It will make you focus twice or even stare into it for sometime…and I’m not talking about the braless chick in a white wet tee. I’m talking about things that are happening around you.
  • Ok…maybe I’m forcing this 3rd rule in: travel light, but travel for your photo-shoot even lighter since you’ll be doing a lot of walking.
Put (A) and (B) together and you’ll have some great memories captured to be shared (or maybe even bragged) with your family or buddies, depending who you left behind for the trip.


You can't run too far away from the beach in any vacation can't you?
Ok not when you're is a safari trip.

Reflections and shadows.

Over and under (exposure I mean...)

Fun in the sun.

Lonely.

My buddy shot this.
He is my son.
He is 10.

Samsara. 

These flags are massive.
I always wonder how people carry, let alone balance them.

Green mamba.
Innocence kills.

No comments:

Post a Comment